Rubbing Minds TV Show Host Ebuka Obi-Uchendu Opens up on His Big Bother Nigeria Reality TV Experiences

 In an interview with Allure Magazine, Big Brother Reality star Ebuka Obi-Uchendu spoke on his whirlwind ride to fame especially after the Big Brother Nigeria Reality TV show, endorsement deals as well as impacting the lives of young people through various platforms. The Benin born Rubbing Minds show host, opens up on his rise to stardom and future plans
Read an excerpt from the interview


·         You partook in the Big Brother Nigeria competition years ago. How was the experience then?
Wow! I think I have answered that question a million times (laughs). Plus, it’s been forever. It was a good experience; it was interesting and it launched me into the limelight. It was pretty good.
·         Do you feel it’s something the organizers should consider doing again?
Yes, I think it’s about time. It was in 2006 and it’s been 9 years now. I think Nigerians have gotten to point where they feel like ‘Big Brother Africa’ has happened a lot and they would like to see another one; people are nostalgic so, yes, I think it would be successful.
·         Are you still in contact with your colleagues from Big Brother?
Oh yes! I am in contact with a couple of them. Gideon and I are very good friends. I’m in touch with Yinka, Chinedu and Ify; (for) a few others, once in a while we still talk.
·         For how many have you been presenting?
The first TV Show I ever did was called friends or Foe. It started airing in August 2006 so this is my ninth year on TV. I only took a break in 2010 and 2011 when I travelled to do my Masters in U.S.A. Every year besides that, I have always been on TV. So my 10th anniversary is next year.
·         How was your experience on stage for the first time in front of a live audience?
(Sighs) I was telling a friend of mine that I felt sorry for the directors who were in charge of that show at the time because, when I look back now, I realize how bad I was and how many takes I had to do (laughs) before getting my lines properly.
It was a hectic job for them and I thank them for making me a better presenter. I won’t say I’m a good presenter or a great presenter and the experience was never-wrecking. It was a game show so there were a lot of dynamics to it, logistically and the otherwise. It was a great learning experience but very hard because I never thought I would be on TV. It was a learning process for me being on that show.
·         Tell us about your involvement in your programme Rubbing Minds and what the focus is.
Rubbing Minds is not a new show. It had been on for about four years or so. I got a call one day from the producer saying they wanted to meet with me to talk about upping the ante of the show. They wanted to give it a different feel and they wanted to do an interview based show; sort of what you see on Hard Talks with BBC or Larry King Live”, where it is one-on-one and you get sort of high impact conversation. That was what I wanted for it. Before then, it was more of a conversational kind of show.
Thankfully, they bought the idea. It has been over two years since I have been doing “Rubbing Minds” and it has gotten quite a few fans for several reasons, either for the controversies or the kind of answers that celebrities turn out etc. (laughs) So, I am also thankful for that. I am also glad it’s on terrestrial TV. So it reaches more people than it would have if it were on satellites. I am enjoying it. I always wanted to do a show like that so we keep rebranding and making it better.

·         Are there any projects you are working on now?

Yes. A lot of TV still coming up; things I am not allowed to talk about. (Laughs) But, yes, a TV show is coming up; a game show which will come up sometime in the middle of the year. I think it is something that has never been seen in the country. A lot of Nigerians will be blown away by the game show and I am happy to be a part of it but the name and where it will air, I can’t say.  
Share on Google Plus

About TRENDY

Shift from the Memorization of Facts to the Understanding of Principles.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

6 comments: